Dr. Mark B. Martin provides antibiotic treatments to help eliminate disease-causing bacteria from your mouth. Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride) is often placed inside periodontal pockets following a scaling and root planing treatment. This treatment is most effective when used as part of an overall plan that includes practicing good oral hygiene. To learn more about Arestin in Escondido, California, and to schedule your consultation with our dentist, please contact our practice at 760-745-5416.
Arestin contains microspheres – tiny particles smaller than grains of sand – that are filled with antibiotic medication. This medication is slowly released over a period of about 30 days to kill off harmful bacteria. When you receive this treatment, our dentist will remove plaque from below your gum line before placing Arestin directly into the infected areas of your mouth. You should see results of this treatment within 90 days.
Following this treatment, we recommend that you:
- Avoid touching the areas of your gums that were treated
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or other devices to clean between the teeth in the treated area
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for about 1 week
- Stay hydrated
- Limit your use of tobacco products. We recommend that you consider quitting entirely
- Make and keep all your follow-up appointments
If you have questions about Arestin, please feel free to contact our office to speak with our dental professionals.